In the Spring of 2019, I worked as a student-teacher at Blackstone Academy Charter School in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Blackstone Academy was founded in 2002 by Kyleen Carpenter, and serves students from Pawtucket, Central Falls, and Providence. 

My mentor at Blackstone was Elena Maker, who taught Social Studies at Blackstone for ninth and tenth grade. I assumed responsibility for Elena's 9th grade World History classes.

Based on information provided by Infoworks Rhode Island, Blackstone's student population is predominantly Hispanic (62%), with the second largest Racial/Ethnic Background being African American (22%). At Blackstone, 76% of students are eligible for subsidized lunch, as compared with the state average of 48%.

Chart located here

While at Blackstone, I created a Latin American history unit that took students from ancient Latin American civilizations all the way to indigenous struggles for autonomy in Brazil. While developing a strong foundation of knowledge about Latin American history, students also developed the historical literacy skills that will serve them throughout their academic careers. The skills that we focused on most this unit were analyzing primary sources and the use of strong evidence in service of a claim.

The culminating assignment for my unit was a mock trial focused on current events in Latin America today: Should Jair Bolsonaro and the Brazilian government be allowed to develop the Amazon rainforest. Students took a position in the debate, reviewed relevant primary and secondary sources, constructed claims that are well supported by evidence, and presented those claims in a mock trial setting that encouraged collaboration and strong presentations. The mock trial asked students to draw on the skills and knowledge that they have gleaned throughout the semester and take a stand on an issue that is currently being debated on the world stage.