Educational Philosophy

My educational philosophy has been molded by both the experiences and individuals that I have brought me to where I am today. I have always been fascinated by different types of schools, and have made it my mission to experience the incredible array of ways by which we define “school.” From the suburban school of my childhood, to shadowing in New York public schools as a teenager, volunteering in Belizean one-room schools accessible only by a jungle bridge, a university of 50,000 students, transitioning to the number one school in the world, and now at an Ivy-League institution, my educational experiences have offered me remarkable perspective on the value of a great education. I have come to the conclusion that no matter where you are in the world or in what setting, kids are kids, and provided the appropriate opportunities and encouragement, they are eager to learn.

As a teacher, I acknowledge that I cannot force anyone to love history and social studies as I do, but I can grant them the skills to contextualize the world around them and to open their eyes to their role as a global citizen. By prioritizing interactive activities, open discussions, and real-world applications in addition to lectures and note-taking, I hope to allow my students greater avenues and opportunities to connect with social studies and the world around them.

Every person has that one teacher. The one that opened doors for them and helped them realize who they are and what they want to achieve. Mrs. Brickley was that teacher for me. An intimidating veteran history teacher whose expectations of her high school juniors were higher than any I have faced in college. Despite the challenges Mrs. Brickley posed, she offered me advice and mentorship which has helped me become the woman I am today. I believe that teachers should work with examples such as this in mind; always remembering that there is a classroom full of eyes and innocence watching your every move, and you may never comprehend the impact you can have.

Education should open doors for students, and teachers should remember that schooling does not begin and end within the classroom walls. It is an ongoing process where curriculum is just a piece of the education students receive. Teachers should focus on setting the best example they can for their students and helping them become the greatest version of themselves that they can be.