The data collected from the gradebook in my classroom helped to narrow in on what was truly needed moving forward in the lesson planning and what skills my students seemed to have mastered. Each assignment was based on a certain number of standards, and then graded as such. The trends showed that the students generally were performing well when given assignments based on recall, such as the first two Japanese Internment Quizzes as well as the Vocabulary Quiz. When tasked with the challenge of adding analysis to their answers, or synthesizing different sources, such as with the Diary Entry, they struggled more in that regard. With this in mind, I then chose to lead classroom workshops on structuring an argument and analyzing the evidence that is found or known. This took the form of not only workhops, but also in the final summative Japanese Internment essay. By taking these grades and translating them also into a workbook on standards, I could see how the class as a whole was meeting certain standards and what to focus on, as well as which individual students might need additional supports or scaffolds.

To view the Second Trimester Gradebook, please select the following link: 2013-2014 Second Trimester Grades - Patton.pdf

*Note: Paul Cuffee School grades on a standards based curriculum. 1 is the lowest grade that a student can receive and translates to not meeting the standard. 2 is developing towards the standard. 3 is meeting the standard and 4 is exceeding the standard. + and - are used to provide levels within each number.