In the Humanities classroom, there existed less time for teaching content as a greater focused needed to be given to writing and skills workshop. With this in mind, I sought to cover much of the content in minimal time and presentation, to ensure that the balance within the Humanities could be struck. The example below is how I introduced the Japanese Internment unit, beginning with an overview of Japanese Immigration, which was a direct transition from their previous immigration unit, and then ending with the attack on Pearl Harbor. To engage my students throughout the presentation, I included images and discussion questions to make sure it was both a direct teacher presentation, but with involvement by the students. Additionally, the students followed along with guided timeline notes, which both helped them have a physical takeaway from the lesson and also kept them focused on the material. The DTP transitioned into an activity using Twitter, and a historian-created twitter feed of the events of Pearl Harbor, thus ending a DTP with a student presentation to finish the content gained. 

To view the full Direct Teacher Presentation on the history of Japanese Immigration and Pearl Harbor, please select the following link: History of Japanese Immigration to America.pptx

To see the guided notes that accompanied the previous direct teacher presentation, please select the following link: GuidedNotesHistoryofJapaneseAmericanImmigration.pdf

To see the Pearl Harbor Twitter Feed, see the following link: PearlHarborTwitterFeed.docx  source: UT San Diego