The Japanese-Internment essay was a long term summative piece that was used to assess multiple standards on which my students would be graded and assessed moving forward. Research was a key piece of what my students needed to focus on moving forward, so after issuing a pre-assessment in creating an argument, I was able to narrow in on the specific writing and research needs of the students. These included structuring their essay, creating a counter argument, and sourcing examples. The research began from day one of the unit, although the students were not necessarily aware of that, as they were asked to collect evidence in their reading of the source, I Am An American, each night. Once they were then given their actual research question, they had a great amount of research already from the text. They were then split into groups to continue this research, and had daily checklists of what they should be focusing on and how far they should be in their paper. The entire Japanese-Internment unit focused on collecting appropriate evidence and becoming experts on a certain aspect of the topic, so the summative research paper seemed the perfect exhibition of all that my students had learned in this regard. 

To view the assignment sheet for the Summative Research Paper on Japanese Internment, please select the following link: FinalAssessment.pdf

Examples of the paper as well as the rubrics and feedback are below.