Issuing a diagnostic or assessment, both pre and post, each trimester proved an incredibly valuable tool to target my teaching to what the students really need, and what standards my lesson planning and teaching might be missing. Within the Humanities class, reading and writing are crucial tools and skills to succeed in the curriculum, so twice a trimester, both a reading and writing diagnostic were issued. This specific assessment was to gather how students were performing in regards to the reading skills of recall, and finding information within the text, as well as analyzing the complexity of the text and using evidence to back up that analysis. In the results, it was clear that the students were comfortable with recall, but struggled with analysis. In response to this trend, I led a workshop focusing on the reading skills of close reading and pulling out key words and information. With this workshop, there was also time for practice where the students were asked to analyze information that was not clearly spelled out in the text, first as a whole class and then independently. This diagnostic and others proved helpful to not only collecting data on my students and their attainment of the skills and knowledge, but also helped to direct the course and my own teacher towards their specific needs.

To view a copy of the Civil Rights Movement Reading Assessment, please select the following link: 3rdTriReadingAssessment (1).docx

The rubric used to assess this reading assessment was simply a key, as the answers were based on recall and comprehension of the text. The results were then posted in the standards attainment below.

To see the results from this pre-assessment, based on the standards from the rubric, please select the following link: Results from Reading Assessment.docx