Getting to Know One Another:
To facilitate introductions and allow students a medium to talk with one of their classmates individually and then to the class as a whole, we conducted student interviews. Each student was paired with a classmate next to them and presented with the following questions:
- What is your name?
- What school do you go to? What grade are you in?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- What is your favorite pizza topping?
- What is your proudest accomplishment?
- Where do you see yourself in five years? How will you get there?
Allthough the questions were inherently silly and lighthearted, the activity had the class laughing and enjoying one another's company. After each classmate had interviewed their partner, they were asked to present their partner to the class. The teachers also participated to help the students get to know the three of us better as well. It was an exciting way to get to know one another and also, for we as teachers, to understand the goals of our students and how we could best prepare to help them achieve those in the short time that we had them as students.