Reflection:

This was the last part of my solo lesson series on Guatemala. While planning for the lesson plan, my goals were to make sure to finalize the Guatemalan case study, have students be able to engage with the material learned in three days in order to answer the essential questions, and help students understand why this matters today by bringing in information on the border crisis. Once I had my goals set, I thought about differentiated activities that would help the different student learners in the classroom each have access points to meet these goals. When I thought of my lesson, I thought about how each of these activities and goals built upon each other which helped me create a scaffolded lesson for the Socratic Seminar which would be the final formative assessment for my case study. With that, I was then able to think clearly about the materials needs and the organization needed for the lesson. Looking back I recognize that these were various goals in one lesson plan and needed to plan for more processing time between each goal. Nonetheless, during the Socratic Seminar, students were able to show their understanding of the material, their abilities to answer the essential questions, and were able to easily make the connections between U.S. intervention in Guatemala and Guatemalan immigration to the U.S.