Welcome and Overview

Welcome! This section of my portfolio contains artifacts and reflections for each domain during my teaching experience at Brown Summer High School (BSHS). BSHS is a daytime enrichment program open to Providence-area high school students. Classes consist of students from grades 9 through 12 from various high schools. It challenges students to engage in critical thinking centered around essential course questions. Students become active participants in the learning experience and develop their skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening.

In order for all teachers to stay true to the mission of BSHS, we were required to keep four domains that reflect Charlotte Danielson's Framework for Teaching (FfT) Aligned with the Rhode Island Professional Teaching Standards (RIPTS) in mind in our practice. The four domains are:

1. Planning & Preparation
  2. The Classroom Environment
  3. Instruction
  4. Professionalism

These domains allowed us to complete BSHS's mission of being a welcoming, inclusive, and diverse community.

My co-teacher and I co-created and co-taught a 4-week curriculum with the assistance of a mentor teacher. Our class was centered around the following essential questions:

• What are the U.S. structures that create ongoing violences in local and global communities?
  • How do we build empathy and solidarity in spite and because of violence?

Throughout this part of my portfolio, you will see examples of how my team teacher and I created these questions, lesson plans and unit plan, but more importantly you will see how students were able to respond and interact with these questions while learning about various student social movements and U.S. empire abroad.

On the main page of each domain is a description of the standard in italics and a brief overview of how I have met the domain during BSHS. Under each domain are artifacts, composed of student work, lessons, and other relevant documents, that correspond to that domain. Please note that some images have been altered in order to protect the identities of my students.

I hope you enjoy exploring some of the work my students and I completed during BSHS!