In creating this e-portfolio and gathering relevant work from the last four years, I've been overwhelmed by both the breadth and depth of my coursework in American Studies. I've benefited from freedom of study and interdisciplinary coursework, taking a wide range of classes covering topics as diverse as American popular culture, advertising, politics, war, trauma, public memory, childhood, higher education, and museum collecting. I've also been able to take small seminar classes that closely mirror my own academic interests and allow me to delve deep into specific research. In particular, [AMST1902Z]Radio: From Hams to Podcasts allowed me to pursue a detailed study of gender in American radio that ultimately inspired my honors thesis.

My focus, American popular culture and particularly the role of gender in film, radio, and television, has guided my work through the past two years. Thanks to the American Studies Department's incredible flexibility, I have been able to relate my focus to almost every one of my classes, and have greatly enjoyed expanding my knowledge in an astoundingly varied collection of coursework. I have benefited greatly from this department's freedom, flexibility, and focus on interdisciplinary work. I have been encouraged to explore new subjects and delve deep into research of topics that are truly important to me.

If I had to sum up what I've learned in one sentence, it would be this:

American culture is important because it defines us, and it is never as simple as it seems.

I am deeply grateful to the professors and students who have taught me so much in the last four years. I hope you enjoy learning more about my course of study at Brown, and thank you again for inspiring me to explore.