My focus within American Studies is American popular culture, and I am particularly interested in the role of gender in film, radio, and television. My focus culminated in my honors thesis, "'Gracie for President:' Women and American Comedy."

I first became interested in the role of women in American culture in 2010, when I took [AMCV1610C] American Popular Culture and studied Susan Douglas's "cultural schizophrenia" in relation to Disney princesses.

After studying princesses, I became interested in male stereotypes in film. In [HIST1750] Politics & Culture in the U.S. since 1945, I studied masculinity in 1950's America as epitomized in Rebel Without a Cause.

I was able to bring masculine and feminine depictions together in [AMCV1610A] American Advertising: History and Consequences], where I studied gender differences relating to consumption in Fight Club and Aurora Dawn.

Finally, in [AMCV1902Z] Radio: From Hams to Podcasts, I researched radio comedienne Gracie Allen, and my research paper on her political comedy inspired my thesis. As a way to present our finals, this class also recorded a radio stream that is available alongside that research paper.