Acknowledgements

Thank you first and foremost to my advisor Susan Smulyan, who could always articulate thoughts I struggled to express, and never once yelled at me even though I always had nightmares about it. Thank you for your wisdom, honesty, and emotional support. And of course, thank you for introducing me to Gracie Allen.

I’d also like to thank my reader, Malgorzata Rymsza-Pawlowska, for incredibly helpful and thought-provoking edits. Your suggestions challenged me and pushed me to improve, and this thesis is so much better because of your input. Thank you!

A giant thank you to Carrie Napolitano, Casey Alexander, and Sumner Warren for the study breaks, changed light bulbs, and promise of points for finishing my thesis more than twenty-four hours before the deadline. In all seriousness, I could not have survived this process without your love and support. I love you all so much; thank you for making my senior year fantastic.

Kris, thank you so much for all the discussions about this topic and perfect article suggestions. As a female involved in the media, your perspective was invaluable. I can’t wait to see how “Girls Who Rocked the World” overturns the gender norms explored in this thesis.

Dad, thank you for your endless love and support, the Disney princess dishware, and for the most thoughtful gift of all: the honey-baked ham. Most importantly, thanks for always letting me watch TV as a child.