a.       Teacher presentations

I plan presentations that vary in form and are aimed at the diverse learning needs of my students. I often involve students reacting to images or documents and discussing their reactions and understanding during teacher presentations. I collected student work during teacher presentations, such as think-pair-share activities and graphic organizers to take notes in, to check student comprehension. I added comprehension checks at the end of graphic organizers were I ask students to write a summary of the material presented. I invited and encouraged student contributions and interactions. Over the course of the semester, I developed a sensitivity to pacing, timing, amount and sequencing of material.

b.      Collaborative activities

I firmly structure collaborative activities often with individual worksheets for students to complete while in groups or information to share in jig-saws. I present groups with guiding questions for their reading and discussions. I provide graphic organizers for students to take notes on during presentations from other groups.  I provide comprehension checks where I made sure each student in collaborative activities are held responsible for their work.

c.       Questioning/discussion

I have improved a lot in this semester in questioning and discussion leading.  I am good at using wait-time and getting better at probing and rephrasing effectively. I have particularly worked on developing levels of questions and scaffolding questions so students are able to accomplish higher levels of questions. I have also worked on strategies for engaging students in discussion and learning and on discussion building skills.

d.      Development of student skills

I am did a good job of scaffolding student skills, it’s one of my biggest passions.  I have worked with students on developing reading comprehension strategies though doing magnet summaries and Before-During-After reading assignments during class and have had them complete similar assignments for homework to continue developing skills and learn content. I also used guided reading questions in a similar purpose.  I also have worked repeatedly with students on text annotating skills in class. I have also scaffold how to take notes, giving students graphic organizers and having students share what they put in the boxes. This also develops student listening skills. Likewise I had students develop their speaking skills particularly through group work and presentations. I need to continue working with students on developing their writing skills in addition to these other skills. I have done writing assignments that ask students to synthesis the material learnt and also assignments that ask them to empathize with people we are learning about in Rome history. I evaluate and provide feedback for students on timely and regular basis and always offer to stay after school with students to improve their skills and comprehension. In the second part of my student teaching I focused on using questioning to try to push students to higher level thinking skills to some success as can be seen in my Teacher Research Project under Standard 6.