Reflection on Artifacts on Standard Five

The assessment we had for our students this summer was a personal history portfolio consisting of three pieces. The first piece was the personal history timeline. The second piece was a choice between a research project on a country that was important to their background, a interview with someone who was important to them or a memoir of life changing event. The third piece was a persuasive letter either from the point of view of Ishmael to the President of the Untied States  or from the point of view of themselves to either the Providence Journal or a Rhode Island Senator.

Our assessments were good as markers of their progress from the beginning, middle and end of class on communication standards—particularly writing and presentation skills. They also were good because students were excited about doing them and got students to use some of their historical skills they were developing. But my co-teacher and I did not do a good job connecting the assignments to the essential question and other material course. Also we didn’t scaffold and teach the skills necessary for the assignments—such as the research skills necessary for the country research project. In the future I hope to develop as creative assessments which connect better to the material of the course and develop the historical and critical skills necessary for the assignments in the students before the assessments are given. Therefore I think our assessments showed that I am appraoching Standard Five: Assessment.