Reflection on Artifacts for Standard One

The items I chose to show to post for Standard One show how my co-teacher and I worked to create a welcoming and warm classroom community in which students felt comfortable and safe. These items demonstrate that I approaching Standard One: Roles and Relationships because they helped us create this warm and welcoming classroom but a warm and welcoming classroom isn’t enough. The classroom environment also needs to be conducive to learning which requires me, as the teacher, to be an empire who ensures the class respects each others as learners enough to keep quiet during independent work and on-task in small group activities.

I think the student questionnaire was vital in three ways to creating this welcoming, warm classroom. First, the completed surveys gave us, the teachers, information on our students likes, dislikes and interests that we could use to form activities throughout the class. Second, the completed surveys allowed us to show interest in each student by bringing up something they wrote on the survey in one on one conversation, showing we read them and cared to remember. I distinctly remember multiple students being impressed I remembered or cared about what they said they wanted to do when they grew up or where they worked. Third, the mire act of asking the students to fill out the surveys set the tone in the classroom that we cared about them as people and learners and we wanted to hear their interests and opinions.

Similarly the student literacy questionnaire was also vital. It did all of the above again, as we could learn about student literary preferences and talk with each student about their favorite book. But it also set the standard that we cared about literacy in this classroom and opened the door to why we were working so hard to develop these communication skills we worked on all semester.

Lastly, creating the classroom constitution in class also was vital to setting up the classroom community. It gave students ownership over the classroom rules and understanding of why they were important. We should have put emphasis on what conditions we all need to learn in this classroom but overall the rules developed, the idea of “respect” that came out, all worked well in our class. We could just say “we’re going to make you do the respect dance” and the disruptive student usually got the message, at least for the moment.