Near the beginning of my time teaching my students and I were discussing something about Rome in class and someone asked if they were going to be quizzed on it and I said maybe, and they said when?, and I said what about tomorrow? And so we decided there would be a quiz tomorrow which meant I had to make one. I set out to do and to try to make it instructional as well as assessment. And so I had students complete one of four forms of the 5 question multiple choice quiz. Then I had them pair up with people who had different forms and they could all share and talk and debate about the correct answer, then students would put down the group answer and I would assess them half on their individual answer and half on the group answer. This actually worked out very well, some grades were low and students were disgruntled, perhaps scared they would do this poorly on all my quizzes. However, the students seemed to get a lot out of and enjoy the debates, making this both an assessment and instructional activity. It was also both summative and formative because I could see what they knew and what they didn’t so I could focus on improving those places they had difficulty, which I subsequently did. 

Below are blank quizzes of each form and a sampling of student works.