Kristina Kelleher's Teaching Portfolio

Brown Summer High School 2008

This portion of my portfolio is dedicated to my work teaching at Brown Summer High School during the summer of 2008 and how I have progressed towards the Brown Teacher Education Practice-Based Standards during that time.  The portfolio pieces are accessible by clicking on the links above that list each standard.

Brown Summer High School is a four week program that consists of two, two hour classes daily for students. I co-taught a history/social studies course looking at the essential question “How does war affect the lives and personal histories of young people?”  As our seminal text, our class read Ishmael Beah’s A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier about this young man’s personal experience during the Sierra Leone civil war.  This question and text were not easy for us as teachers or our students as learners to grapple with, particularly since some of our students had experienced violence in their own lives.  Yet, together we were able to succeed in having a very productive and engaging course around these topics by creating a classroom of respect and humility.  Perhaps the most exciting piece of the summer for me was our summer long project in which students created their own personal history portfolios and I got to watch each of my students share important pieces of themselves with their classmates and I.