Engl 2950 Syllabus Final Draft.doc

I designed the syllabus while in Lawrence Stanley’s Seminar in Pedagogy and Composition Theory. The class really emphasized writing as a process of inquiry, which is something I want to share with my future middle school students. I want to try to encourage them to see writing as a process, an activity that one practices and practices through the process of rewriting and revising. Below is the course introduction that I wrote for the syllabus, which I think encapsulates how I want to approach the teaching of writing:

This course introduces 9th graders to three types of writing—persuasive/argumentative, descriptive, and narrative—commonly required at the high school level. Through close, critical reading of print-based and visual texts from a range of disciplines, students will come to see writing as a process of inquiry, a way to express thoughts, ideas, and arguments, and a process that requires devotion and practice. Over the course of the term, students will engage in active revision of their ideas and writing.