I firmly believe that education is crucial to ameliorating racial and economic disparities and to developing higher levels of social consciousness and self knowledge. I, unlike many of the students I have taught, am blessed to have had positive school experiences that challenged and encouraged me to pursue more schooling. My never-ending curiosity drives me to pursue more knowledge, and I hope to foster this type of curiosity in my students. I want them to understand that learning about oneself and the world is a life-long process that does not begin and end in school. School, in my opinion, provides kids with the means to develop and investigate their curiosities. Taking the time to learn about my students’ interests, passions, and the things that they are curious about is very important to me. By incorporating these into my lessons, I can model the ways in which education and school help us investigate the things that fascinate us.

Education also means access to opportunities and the ability to make choices. I want to be part of a group of teachers who are committed to providing youth, especially ones from disadvantaged economic backgrounds, with the skills and knowledge necessary to be able to make more choices about their trajectory in life. Because I will teach in communities that lack resources, I feel it is my duty to expose my students to the wide array of career choices that exist, so that students can begin to see the connections between their education and those options.