My students completed the handout above during a small group discussion in which I split the class into 2 groups. Each group was led by a discussion leader. At this point in the unit, my students had just learned the 4 types of questions—right there, pulling it together, author and me, and on my own—and generated several “author and me” and “on my own” questions. I chose the 3 questions above from the list of questions that students generated. My goal was to show students that their questions about a text can and should be discussed. In their groups, the students first spent a few minutes jotting down their ideas for each question. Then the discussion leader facilitated, read each question and called on students who raised their hands. This was my first attempt at a small group discussion, and it went very smoothly. The students seemed more engaged because they were discussing their classmates’ questions. I would have liked to see my students use evidence from the text to support their ideas, but that is a skill we’ve been working on for several weeks. It has proven to be very difficult for my students.