Example Image

Parrott_Lesson Plan #51.doc

Example of Foreshadowing.doc

Of Mice and Men is an excellent text to teach foreshadowing. The uploaded lesson introduced students to foreshadowing. My objectives for the class were for students to find examples of foreshadowing and make predictions about what they think will happen later in the story based on the examples. At this point in the novella, my students had already started to wonder why Steinbeck references the following words: the mouse/mice, rabbits, and trouble/bad things. I wanted my students to understand that, by making these references repeatedly, Steinbeck is giving hints about what will happen later in the story. First, I assigned pairs of students 1 of the words. In pairs, students found quotes from the text. Second, when they found at least 4 quotes, they answered the question, “What do these clues tell you about what will happen in the story?” Third, students generated 2 predictions, and then they did a jigsaw to share their predictions with students who had been assigned a different word. Students made really smart predictions. Many students, for example, predicted that George and Lennie would get in trouble and have to leave the ranch later in the novel. Another student predicted that Lennie would make a shelter for all the rabbits on the ranch. My student teaching ended before I could do another lesson on foreshadowing, but in order for students to fully understand foreshadowing they have to see how the references Steinbeck makes early in the novel play out later in the text. My mentor teacher agreed to follow up on this.