Hello! My name is Carol Amaya. I am pursuing my Master of Arts in Teaching in Secondary Education-History and Social Studies at Brown University. This portfolio contains artifacts and reflections that I am humbled to share with you about my experiences while student teaching. For any inquiries/questions, please contact me at: carol_amaya@brown.edu

About me: I was born in the Bay Area but grew up in Stockton, CA an agricultural town in California’s Central Valley. I come from a low income immigrant working class family, I am Central American (Guatemalan and Salvadoran) and a first-generation college graduate. Throughout my undergrad I was involved with academic research through the Koret Foundation, UC Links, and EOP Pathways to Research. I conducted research on various topics such as first-generation student engagement in the university setting, bilingual education in California, English learners (specifically Latinx students), and Latinx parent engagement. I served as a program assistant for Corre la Voz, an after-school literacy program for 4th and 5th grade Latinx students and as an EOP Bridge lead mentor for incoming first generation undergraduate students. Additionally, I’ve worked as a summer instructor and mentor for the Student Success and Leadership Academy at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA.