The 2009/2010 school year was a major milestone for the Marc and Eva Stern Math and Science School as we had our first graduating class. We are all very proud of their successes in getting accepted to colleges across the country.

I moved from teaching Human Geography to AP U.S. History for the first time, working with all of the Juniors this year. I continued to coach the debate team and they enjoyed a highly decorated season, including taking home top speaker awards at the nationally competitive Cal Invitational tournament at U.C. Berkeley with over two thousand debaters in attendance. I also enjoyed watching my advisory grow and mature as sophomores, and look forward to teaching them U.S. History next year.

Among the many highlights from the year, I was especially happy to win the National Council for Social Studies (NCSS) Crista McAuliff Reach for the Stars Award, funding a three year subscription to Social Explorer, granting students access to census data and demographic mapping. I was also pleased to write many letters of recommendation for our college applicants, including the exhaustive Gates Millennium Scholarship recommendation for Ofelia Carrillo, the captain of our debate team and valedictorian of our school. With the Gates funding secured she is off at Williams College.

It was also a good year for the East LA community, as they got one step closer to making cityhood a reality. Students who have been volunteering with me over the past two years took it up a notch and formed the first ever youth board. It will be exciting to see the growth of their community organizing skills and political awareness over the coming year.