Example Image

BSHS Classroom Practice Reflection

I have chosen the students’ final presentations/exhibitions as the artifact that best reflects my development as a teacher toward meeting Standard Four. The final projects were completed in teams of four to five students, and I served as project advisor for groups 2 and 5. This artifact displays my teaching toward the goal of students demonstrating what they have learned. It also illustrates a range of teacher activities which I performed in order to help students complete their projects.

The DTP I gave on research was planned to help students develop skills they would need for their projects (see lesson plan under Standard Three). It was sequenced with the progression of the course and I modeled the research process using an example that was connected not only to the course content for that week, but also to the projects they had chosen. I incorporated “teacher talk time,” questioning, and student activity. Although I made the steps clear and easy to follow on the board, I should have prepared a handout or monitored student note-taking more effectively. If giving this presentation again I would also give students more time to use the books I handed out.

In advising my groups during team time I had the opportunity to work on structuring collaborative activities as well as questioning/discussion. In setting up group work I had to prepare so that I could move between groups and know that each would continue to be productive in my absence. This challenge is of course magnified if moving between all six groups (if I were the only teacher in the class instead of one of three). I found that preparing the feedback forms, and handouts to facilitate team time helped students make the best use of class-time in working on their projects. I used questioning techniques almost continuously to help students develop research questions and think through their projects. I also differentiated my instruction, as one group was slower to get started, had frequent absences, and required a more hands-on scaffolded approach.

This experience with group work was very formative for me as a teacher. I have come a long way in my classroom practice. Ideally, the examples of student work I have provided as part of the artifact should reflect my success in meeting Standard Four. The individual student reflections on both the content and the process of their group presentations/exhibitions are especially insightful and share many commonalities.

The following pages are organized to display this artifact as follows:

Guidelines for final projects                                    p.4.

Project proposal form                                              p.5.

Feedback on proposals for group 5                       p.6.

Feedback on proposals for group 2                       p.7.

Handout to facilitate team time, group 5             p.8.

Handout to facilitate team time, group 2             p.9.

Oral presentation outline, group 2                         pp.10-11.

Presentation feedback form                                    pp.12-13.

Group 5 power point slides                                      pp.14-21.

Individual student reflections from group 5:

Student 1                                                                    pp.22.23.

Student 2                                                                    pp.24-26.

Student 3                                                                    pp.27-29.

Student 4                                                                    pp.30-32.