Teacher Research Presenation: Chelukhova TRP.pptx

Annotated Bibliography: Chelukhova, Annotated Bibliography Final.doc

Teacher Research Presentation Reflection

Although the final process of preparation for the TRP was rather challenging, I learned tremendously from it.  I will summarize my challenges and lessons as a list.

Challenge 1: It was difficult to reduce three months of teaching to a twenty-minute presentation.

Lesson 1: Prioritizing became crucial.  It was not easy to include a piece of student work into the presentation only to cut it out because of the time frame.  Yet it taught me to consider depth instead of breadth. 

I realize that in preparation for my TRP, I had to prioritize content like I have been trying to while teaching.  The area of knowledge I wanted to share with the audience was vast, and I was as passionate about it as I am about history.  But I knew there was a limited amount of information I could fit into the presentation, and I knew that if I were to enable the audience to understand my teaching methodology, I had to be selective, since the depth of understanding frequently occurs at the expense of the breadth of familiarity.

Challenge 2: It was difficult to give a comprehensive overview of the methodology that took 3 months to develop and became organic to my practice to the audience that was not familiar with my teaching.

Lesson 2: I had to be crystal clear about my methodology.  I needed to develop a precise language that I could use throughout the presentation.  I needed to stay focused on the questions I was considering and let them shape my presentation: whatever did not address the questions would be tangential, and 20 minutes were not enough for tangents.  Once again, I needed to focus on the depth of analysis rather than the broad overview.  Since the topic was rather unconventional, I wanted to make sure the audience left the presentation with a due consideration to my methodology.

Challenge 3: Technology was not a friend of mine.

Lesson 3: Save religiously (as I did) under a different name (which I did not).  I also found it helpful to have a glance at what my presentation would look like on a large screen.  The scans of student work were especially important to see: I wasn't sure if they would be readable, and a large portion of my presentation depended on their legibility.

Overall, I thought the experience was very instrumental.  I am not sure if it was an accurate summation of my teaching, but it gave me another chance to think about backward planning, teaching and learning objectives, and, of course, prioritizing content.