Reflection

There were three students with special-education needs in my classroom: they all required extended time on tests due to high levels of anxiety and some levels of attention deficit disorder. There were no separate learning plans for these students and they did not work with a special-education specialist.

There was no additional differentiated instruction for these students: I tried to differentiate my lessons for everyone on a regular basis. To help my special-education students, I worked with them individually to make sure their needs were met and their questions were answered. These are some of the accommodations I made:

1.  I met with the students during their free periods to talk over some assignments, which prompted questions or created anxiety.

2.  I extended time on in-class work, as needed, to make sure the students finished their assignments.

3.  I spent two hours on Google Docs with one student to guide her through her final assignment. I found that experience to be valuable for the student: her own ideas were clarified, and she did not use my feedback to shape her thinking; instead, she used my suggestions as a spring board for her own ideas.

4.  I encouraged one anxious student to participate more regularly.  I met with her one day half-way through the trimester and talked to her about the benefits of sharing ideas with her classmates.  She expressed to me her apprehension, and we agreed that I would give her some time to think about the topic before I call on her at the beginning of each class ( our agenda was always written on the board and she could read what we would talk about) and I would call on her before her classmates to give her a chance to say something original before others "could steal" her ideas.  This approach worked and her participation improved dramatically.

5.  I gave another student a chance to submit her work several times if she felt like her comprehension of the expectations had interfered in the success of  completing an assignment.  She was appreciative of this opportunity and told me that she had refined her skills as she learned from the process.

The attached lesson plan demonstrates differentiated instruction I used on a regular basis: textual learning was supported with images, kinetic activities, videos, and daily discussions.

Artifact: Unit 3, Lesson 2 Plan

Differentiated Instruction

Date: 11/08/11

Alla Chelukhova

Unit 3, Lesson 2

Lesson Topic: The Great Depression

Lesson’s Essential Question: What was the Great Depression?

Standards

1. Culture.

2. People, places, environments.

3. Individual development and identity.

4. Power, authority, and governance.

5. Civic ideas and practices.

Objectives Your objectives should be measureable, contain an observable verb, and be written in student-friendly language. 

Students will know or be able to:

1. Students will be able to relate to the events of the Great Depression.
  2. Students will be able to discuss the effect of Keynesian economy on the U.S.
  3. Students will be able to analyze visual sources.

Mechanism of assessment for measuring each objective:

1. Students will share their interviews of their parents.
  2. Students will participate in the Q and A session.
  3. Students will work in small groups and perform "photo surgery."

Instructional methods used

Look at your “Teaching Methods to Try” list and choose methods that will best help you reach your objectives.

Methods of evaluation: After teaching, reflect on how well each method worked and what you would do to refine or build on each method.

Instructional

materials and

resources

Folders, paper, pencils, handouts of entrance and exit tickets

Evidence of differentiation

Based on your assessment of student learning, what are you going to do to accommodate the range of needs in your classroom?

• Students will follow Cornell note-taking system.
  • Students will be encouraged to draw symbols and pictures as they take notes.
  • Students will write down what they learned from h/w reading in an entrance ticket.
  • Students will write down what they learned from class in an exit ticket.
  • Students will participate in a Q&A discussion.
  • Students will support their textual learning with visual images.
  • Students will perform image surgery with my help.
  • Students will analyze images on their own.

Lesson Agenda

What will you be doing?

What will the students be doing?

TIME:

7:57-8:00 EQ, objectives, agenda.

8:00-8:20 Think-pair-share – H/W.

8:20-8:35 Q and A – see attached.

• Alla asks the students to define the academic vocabulary.
  • Alla writes the definitions on the board.
  • Alla asks questions.
  • Students respond and write in their notebooks.

8:35-8:47 Photograph analysis.

• Alla shows photographs in a slide show.
  • Alla guides the students through the photographs, performing "image surgery" with their help.
  • Students write the story of a person in the photograph, prepare to share tomorrow.

TIME:

7:57-8:00 Students settle down.

8:00-8:20 Think-pair-share – H/W.

• Students are paired up by Alla.
  • Students' names are placed on the desks; they know where to sit when they enter the classroom.
  • In pairs, students share their interviews with each other.
  • After talking, students share their favorite question, which the partner asked, and a response to it with the class.

8:20-8:35 Questions and Answers.

• Students take notes.  Copy the vocab they don't know.  Follow Alla's notes as she asks them questions in the discussion.
  • Students use three pennies to contribute to the discussion.
  • When not speaking, they write in their notebooks.

8:35-8:47 Photograph analysis.

• Students watch the slide show.
  • Students point out small details in the photographs:
    • Clothes of people in the pictures
    • Signs of health issues
    • Surroundings
    • Eyes
    • Seriousness of kids' faces
    • Age of some women (Dorothea Lange's portrait, for example.  Is the woman in the picture older or younger than Mrs. C?)
    • What do you think these people are thinking as a photographer is taking their picture?
    • Students write down a story of a person from the photograph in their journal.
    • Students prepare to read the story to their classmates tomorrow.

Question and Answer Session: Questions

1. Academic vocabulary: depression, John Keynes, New Deal, deficit, tariff, balanced budget, inflation, radical parties.
  2. How did WWI affect the status of women? (Some male political leaders "rewarded women for their contributions to the war effort by granting them voting rights."  Women could not vote until 1944 in FR, 1945 in IT, 1971 in Switzerland)
  3. What type of gov was created in GER after WWI? (A democratic Weimar Republic)
  4. Was it successful? (No, the inflation of 1922-1923 hurt it badly)
  5. Why was FR not affected by the Great Depression right away? (A more balanced econ, 1932 - depression is felt; 1936 – radical parties are in power)
  6. How was GB affected by the Great Depression? (Unemployment grew; the Labor Party fell out of power in 1931; Conservatives used balanced budgets and protective tariffs)
  7. Who was John Keynes and what was his significance? (British economist – unemployment comes from a decline in demand, not from overproduction; demand can be created by putting people back to work building public projects; if necessary, gov should finance such projects with deficit spending = adopted by FDR in the New Deal)
  8. What was the New Deal? (By 1932, U.S. industrial production fell 50% from its 1929 level; by 1933, there were more than 12 million unemployed; the Works Progress Administration, established in 1935 – about 3 million people were employed at its peak, building roads, bridges, post offices, etc.  In 1938, unemployment stood at 10 million; only WWII brought U.S. workers back to full employment).

Power Point Presentation

The Great Depression.pptx