Reflections

In the course of my student teaching, I tried to be an active learner of history.  I observed all of my mentor's classes.  At first I just sat and listened to what was being said.  About half-way into the trimester, I became more actively engaged. 

I took daily notes in Post-Colonial History.  I wanted to learn from what the students had to say in response to Ruth's questions.  I wanted to learn about the subject matter.  And I wanted to make sure I retained the great teaching approaches Ruth had to the subject, so I copied essential questions, objectives, and agendas.  Examples of my notes are in Artifact II.

During A.P. Art History, I was learning the subject together with the students.  I have always liked art, and I even taught an elective Art History class during my first year of teaching in Colorado.  I do not know art well, and as I learned from my teaching experience, history of art is much more about art than history.  So although it was difficult for me to get everything out of the class without reading the textbook, I tried to get involved and take notes.  I also participated in two field trips the class took.  I chaperoned the group in their trip to the MFA in Boston.  And I went along with the students and my mentor when they went to the First Baptist Church to see its architecture and learn about its history.  Some photos from that trip are in Artifact I.