Literacy Case Study Reflection

I found the process of my research, and especially the process of reflection as I was compiling it in writing, to be an eye-opening experience. For the first time, not only was I actively engaged in understanding where my students came from and how their backgrounds fit into their learning experience, I took the time to truly reflect on my observations, compile them in an orderly fashion, try to understand what this information means, and put my ideas down in a written form. Although I cannot claim to understand my students' understanding, I can say that I made an attempt to get closer to this goal.

In my past teaching experiences, I thought that my knowledge of my students resulted from their trust and respect. Now I know that knowing students personally and seeing their academic strengths and weaknesses are not enough. I need to know if they made progress in my classroom, and to do so, I need to document learning. Both the whole-class literacy profile and the individual literacy profile demonstrated to me how I can observe and analyze students' progress, and I believe this to be of vital importance when I work on differentiating my teaching practice.