Assessment 11

Trimester I: Final Assessment

This project is due on Monday, November 28.

Part I

The Fairytale

Please write a fairytale. 

• Your fairytale should be typed.
  • It should not be longer than one page, double-spaced.
  • It should begin with: "Once upon a time, there was…"
  • It should end with: "…ever after."
  • It should be spell-checked.
  • It should be proof-read.

Part II

Annotations

Please annotate your fairytale.

• At least two characters of your fairy tale should have historical prototypes from Chapters 23-25 of your history textbook.  Each prototype may be one concrete person or a combination of several people.
  • In your annotations, please clearly state who the prototypes for your characters are.
  • Please explain why you consider them to be prototypes.  Give evidence from the textbook, our conversations, or your own research to show that your prototypes are historically accurate.
  • Please explain what the events of your fairy tale would look like in history.  Explain each event and draw parallels between its development and what actually happened in history.  Support your arguments with historical evidence.
  • If your fairy tale ends differently from what happened in history, please explain why you chose it as the alternative.
  • In your writing, please follow this format:

Introduction

Your thesis: "I believe my fairy tale is a symbolic representation of …" (insert an event in history)

Claim #1: "(Character #1) is an accurate representation of…" (insert the historical prototype your first character represents)

Claim #2: "(Character #2) is a factual representation of …" (insert the historical prototype the second character represents)

Claim #3: "The setting and the development of the fairy tale symbolize…" (insert the historical event(s) you had in mind)

Paragraph I

Sentence #1, Claim #1: Who Character #1 of your fairy tale represents.

Sentence #2, Topic Sentence Expanding upon Claim #1.

Give another fact in this sentence.  You may want to provide more similarities between the character you introduced and the actual historical prototype.  After you are done with this sentence, it should answer a question, which starts with "What…?"

Sentence #3, Supporting Fact.

Explain why you believe your character to represent its historical prototype.  After you are done with this sentence, it should answer a question, which starts with "Why…?"  Please provide evidence in this sentence.

Sentence #4, Another Supporting Fact.

Give another explanation why the first character of your fairy tale represents a historical prototype.  Another "Why…?" question should be answered with this sentence.  More examples from the textbook, our discussions, or your own research.

Sentence #5, Anticipated Counter-Argument.

This is the hardest sentence to create and the best one to demonstrate that you are an excellent writer.  You may want to begin this sentence with an "Although…" or even "Critics may point out that…"  Make sure to support this claim by facts, too.

Sentence #6, Refuting the Counter Argument.

Now is your moment to shine!  You may want to begin with "Nevertheless…" and show that the counter-argument may be correct, but your argument is still stronger.  Use examples in this sentence, too.

Paragraph II

Sentence #1, Claim #2: Who Character #2 of your fairy tale represents.

Sentence #2, Topic Sentence Expanding upon Claim #2.

Follow the model of the first paragraph.  Another "What…?" question will be answered.

Sentence #3, Supporting Fact.

Your first "Why…?" question is answered with this one.  Don't forget examples!

Sentence #4, Another Supporting Fact.

The second "Why…?" question, more evidence!  Almost there!  You can do it!

You are becoming an expert on counter-arguments!  Please follow the first model and don't forget examples!

Your second shining moment!  Don't forget some good evidence.

Paragraph III

Sentence #1, Claim #3: What your fairy tale symbolizes.

Sentence #2, Topic Sentence expanding upon Claim #3.

In this sentence, expand on the claim and explain the parallels between history and your fairy tale.  Give concrete examples, narrow down your claim.

Sentence #3, Supporting Fact.

Explain why you decided that your creative fairy tales is similar to a certain event in history.

Sentence #4, Another Supporting Fact.

Give another explanation.

The critics are still there.  What may they say about your fairy tale's resemblance to the actual events?  What evidence do they have?

Sentence #6, Refuting the Counter-Argument.

If the annotation were a cake, this is its cherry on top!  Let's refute those critics once and for all! 

Conclusion

Please bring all the arguments together to demonstrate that your thesis has been proven.

And you are done!

After reading this voluminous handout, you may be wondering why I am asking you to do this.  Here are my reasons:

1. I want you to create history.  This is why I am asking you to write a fairy tale.
  2. I want you to analyze history instead of simply regurgitating it.  This is why I am asking you to annotate your fairy tale.
  3. I want you to practice good writing skills in history.  This is why I am asking you to follow the format of the thesis, claims, counter-arguments, and refuting.
  4. I want you to see how much you have learned and how well you understand what you learned.  I believe in you.  This is why I am asking you to perform this challenging task.

Please don't worry!  I will be there to help you along the way, you can ask me questions, and there will be time to work on your writing during our classes.

Assessment 10

The Velveteen Rabbit: Analysis

This assignment is due on Friday, November 18. 

Please read the fairy tale.

After you read, please write a response, following the SAT Timed Essay Rubric.  Your response should attempt to support the following argument:

"After the horrors of World War I, the injustice of the Peace Treaty of Versailles, and economic devastation of the 1920s, Germany was desperate to become REAL."

Please use at least three examples from history to support your arguments and at least two quotes from The Velveteen Rabbit.

Your response will be graded using the SAT Timed Essay Rubric.

Assessment 9

Authoritarianism vs. Totalitarianism

This assignment is due on Monday, November 14, 2011.

Using your understanding of history, write a comparison of an authoritarian and a totalitarian state.  You should use two examples from Section 2, Chapter 24: you may use Italy and Spain or U.S.S.R. and Spain.

In one paragraph:

1. Please make sure to say which country was totalitarian and which one was authoritarian.
  2. Please make sure to explain why one country was totalitarian and why the other was authoritarian.
  3. Please be sure to refer to the definitions of totalitarianism and authoritarianism provided in your textbook or in any other reliable source. 
  4. Please be sure to cite your sources.

As a list of bullet points:

1. Based on the two examples, please make a list of general totalitarian and authoritarian political qualities.

In an illustration:

1. Please draw two propaganda posters for the same cause but from two different political perspectives
  • For example, imagine a picture of "Drink more milk" with the usual milk mustaches.
  •  In a totalitarian state, I may draw a picture which will look like "Drink more milk, or the secret police will lock you up" – the sad face without milk mustaches behind bars, the face with milk mustaches out and smiling.
  •  In an authoritarian state, the same idea may look like a picture of "Drink more milk, support the cow of your local landlord" – the smiling face with mustaches giving thumbs-up to the cow of a local landlord.
  1. The cause of your poster does not need to be political. 
  2. Please use color in your poster.
  3. Please use imagination and humor.

Assessment 8

The Great Depression: Interview

This assignment is due the next day of class (Tuesday, November 8, for BLUE; Wednesday, November 9, for GREEN)

Please interview one of your parents or any adult of your choice. 

Before the interview, please make sure to explain what the Great Depression was and what impact it had on world economy.  To do this, please make sure you read Section 1, Chapter 24.   

During the interview, please ask the adult to share what they know about the Great Depression from their family.  Here are some questions you may want to consider:

• Did anyone in our family live through the Great Depression?
  • What do you know about it?  Where did you get that knowledge?
  • What are some professions that are well-protected from the Great Depression if it were to happen nowadays?  Why?

Please come up with at least two questions of your own.

After the interview, please make a clean copy of what you learned.  Your writing should be in an interview format (question – answer).  These are the grading criteria I will use for this assignment:

• Reading of Section 1, Chapter 24 – 20 points.

Please assess yourself on this criterion.  If you have met the requirement, please write: "I have done the reading and explained what the Great Depression was," and give yourself 20 points.  

• Quality of your personal questions – 40 points.

Excellent questions will lead to more than one-word responses and will make people think.

• Quality of your records – 40 points.

Excellent records will be as detailed, or nearly as detailed, as the oral conversation.  Please take good notes of what you hear to make sure your records are true to what was said.

Assessment 7

The Little Prince Analysis

This assignment is due on Friday, October 28, 2011.

Part I.

While reading, please explain what you believe the author is trying to say in each of these statements.  You need to use at least one quote from the text to support each of your interpretations.  You don't need to write more than three sentences per each statement, but make sure you gave at least one possible explanation in each response.

1.  "But if you tame me, we'll need each other.  You'll be the only boy in the world for me.  I'll be the only fox in the world for you…" (59)

2.  "'I get something," the fox said, 'because of the color of the wheat.'" (61)

3.  "One sees clearly only with the heart.  Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." (63)

Part II.

Using one country from Chapter 25 as an example, please describe how the following statement was violated by European and American colonizers:

"You become responsible forever for what you've tamed." (64)

• Please explain who the tamer and the tamed are in your argument.
  • Please explain why you believe one country to be the tamed and the other the tamer.  Please support your explanation with historical evidence.
  • What would be a responsible behavior?  Why?
  • Do you believe Exupéry's argument to be correct and applicable to history?  Please explain.
  • You response will be graded using the SAT rubric.

Assessment 6

Armenian Genocide: Reading Assignment

Part III of his assignment is due on Friday, October 21. 

Parts I and II are due the next day of class.

Part I

Before you begin reading the packet, please respond to the following question with a short paragraph:

"Have you ever been discriminated against?  Please explain."

Part II

While you read pp. 42-46, please take notes, using the Cornell Note-taking System.

While you read pp. 106-108, please annotate as you would in an English class.

Part III

After you read, please respond to the writing prompt.  In your writing, please follow the SAT Timed Essay Rubric.

You live in a small Arab village in 1915.  One day in October, you opened your windows in the morning and you beheld a fearful sight.  A crowd of women and children, naked, sunburned, and exhausted, was crawling into your village.  Please describe what you learned from them about their misery.

Assessment 5

William II and Nicholas II Trial

Today, you are our judges.  Our names are Czar Nicholas II and Kaiser William II, and we put our fate in your hands.  We have abdicated the throne, and now we are awaiting your sentence.  We expect you to be fair in your judgment, and we hope you treat us with due kindness, respect, and dignity.

Before we commence, please make a list of 3 accusations for each of us.  They need to be grounded in history and ethics.

William II

Nicholas II

1.

1.

2.

2.

3.

3.

Now, please make a list of three questions you would like each of us to answer. 

William II

Nicholas II

1.

1.

2.

2.

3.

3.

Finally, please make a list of five arguments for each of us you would like to use in our defense.  Two of these arguments need to be based on ethics.

William II

Nicholas II

1.

1.

2.

2.

3.

3.

4.

4.

5.

5.

This assignment is due by the end of class.  When our highnesses ask you to put your pens down, you will not be allowed to make any corrections or add anything to what you have already written.  You have twenty minutes to complete these columns.  Each strong argument is worth 2 points.  The total number of points for this exercise is 45.

Assessment 4 

Unit 1 Jeopardy Game

Defining big ideas

WWI Events

WWI People

Russian Revolution Events

Russian Revolution People

200

Please define "conscrip-tion."

What happened on June 14, 1914, in Sarajevo?

Who was William II and what role did he play in history?

What event occurred on March 8, 1917, who was in it and why?

Who was Alexandra and what is her significance for the Russian Revolution?

400

Please define "mobiliza-tion."

What was Kaiser William II forced to do after the war was over and why?

Who was Franz Ferdinand, who was his spouse, and why are they important?

Why did soldiers mutiny, against whom was this mutiny, what significance did it have?

Who was Nicholas II and why was he a weak ruler?

DD

600

Please define "militarism."

What peace treaty was signed between Russian and Germany in 1918 and what was its impact? DD

Who was Woodrow Wilson and why did he become involved in European affairs?

When and why was the Provisional Government formed, and what was its blunder?

Who was Alexis, what condition did he suffer from, and why was it significant?

800

Please define "a war of attrition."

DD

What organization did Woodrow Wilson try to found, what were its goals, why did it end?

Who was Lloyd George and what did he want for his people from the Treaty of Versailles?

What was Gregory Rasputin's legacy and why was he assassinated?

Who was Gregory Rasputin and why was he influential at the Russian court?

1000

Please define "commu-nism."

What was the First Battle of the Marne and what were its effects?

Who was David Clemenceau, what did he want from the Treaty of Versailles, and what did he get instead?

When did the Civil War begin in Russia, who participated in it, and why?

Who was V.I. Lenin and what was his relationship with Russia and Germany?

2000

Please define "socialism."

What was the Treaty of Versailles and what were its main clauses?

Who was Schlieffen and what was his plan?

DD

Why and when was the czar assassinated?

DD

Who was Kerensky and what impact did he have on Russia?

Assessment 3

A Code of Ethical Behavior in History

This assignment is due on WEDNESDAY, October 5

Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary defines "ethical" as "pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct." 

Please create two codes of ethical behavior you wish could have been in place during the 1900s.  One code must be addressed to William II during World War I; the second code should be addressed to Nicholas II right before the Russian Revolution.  Each code should have at least 10 points.  Here are some examples of what a point in the ethical code may look like.

You may ask questions, similar to these:

"Are you causing more harm than good to the people of your country?"

"Would you like your mother to experience what your people are going through in the trenches?"

Or, you may make statements, similar to these:

"You should never sacrifice even one life for the sake of your personal prestige."

"When you make a political decision, you should always think of the people it will affect first."

Below are the criteria, which I will use to grade your ethical code.

Using at least three historical examples from the time period in each code – 3 points

Authenticity (you should write your codes as if you were involved in these events; your criticism should be real and well-founded) – 3 points

Creativity – 2 points

Excellent writing mechanics (no spelling errors, no grammatical mistakes) – 2 points

If you have any questions, please talk to me any time on Tuesday!

Assessment 2

"Cinderella" Analysis

This assignment is due on WEDNESDAY, September 28

Congratulations!  You are now a married baroness with three daughters.  You have a comfortable life with your new husband who adores you and your children who respect you.  There is only one negative thing, which may furrow your brow when you put your head on your soft pillow at night.  You will forever enter history as a nasty relative of a most famous girl who spent her nights on a sack of straw by the fire.  You are Cinderella's evil stepmother.

Attached is a letter your husband wrote to you.  I would like you to read it and write a response to him.  In your reply, I would like you to explain to Monsieur Le Baron your side of the story.  Please try to follow the actual story and the information it gives us as closely as you can.  You may need to create some explanations for your behavior, but please be sure they can be based on the fairy tale you have just read. 

These are some suggestions you may want to consider:

1.  How did Cinderella make you feel?

2.  How did she make your daughters feel?

3.  Why did you want to deprive Cinderella of the lifestyle she had been used to? 

4.  How did you feel when Cinderella turned out to be the beautiful lady at the ball?

5.  Do you think your behavior was unrealistic?

In your writing, please follow the SAT Timed Essay Rubric. 

Here is your husband's letter:

My Beloved Wife,                                                                                        September 26, 1653

It pains me to pass this dishonest piece of fiction your sweetest way.  I found this record on the desk of a rascal who goes by the ignoble – no doubt – name of Charles Perrault, and the tone of his narrative infuriated me to the core of my gentle soul.  How could anyone deem our beautiful family, which your handsome presence so graciously heads, to be so ugly?  Would you kindly give me your assurance that this nonsense is fictitious?

Yours faithfully,

Baron Jacques Le Faible   

Assessment 1

Remarque Quotes Analysis

This assignment is due on Friday, September 23

Please read the quotes and answer the questions.

"We are at rest five miles behind the front.  Yesterday we were relieved, and now our bellies are full of beef and haricot beans.  We are satisfied and at peace.  Each man has another mess-tin full for the evening; and, what is more, there is a double ration of sausage and bread.  That puts a man in fine trim.  We have not had such luck as this for a long time.  The cook with his carroty head is begging us to eat; he beckons with his ladle to every one that passes, and spoons him out a great dollop." (Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front, 1)

"I am very quiet. Let the months and years come, they can take nothing from me, they can take nothing more.  I am so alone, and so without hope that I can confront them without fear.  The life that has borne me through these years is still in my hands and my eyes.  Whether I have subdued it, I know not.  But so long as it is there it will seek its own way out, heedless of the will that is within me." (Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front, 291)

1.  Please choose at least three descriptives from the first quote.  They may be adjectives or participles (participles are verbs made into descriptions, such as "astonished," "surprised" or "conquered.)  After writing down these descriptives, please compare them and explain in one sentence what they have in common.  Then explain in one sentence what message they are trying to convey.

2.  Now choose two descriptives from the second quote and write them down.  Then write a sentence comparing them and a sentence about the message they are trying to convey, like you did for the first paragraph.

3.  Please write a paragraph (a big one, which means more than four sentences), explaining how and why the tone of Remarque's narrative changed from Page 1 to Page 291.  Here are some questions to help you out.  How did the course of the war change between 1914 and 1919?  Why did it change?  What effect did it have on those who were fighting?