Final Project: Annotations

Please annotate your fairytale.

• At least two characters of your fairy tale should have historical prototypes from Chapters 23-25 of your history textbook.  Each prototype may be one concrete person or a combination of several people.
  • In your annotations, please clearly state who the prototypes for your characters are.
  • Please explain why you consider them to be prototypes.  Give evidence from the textbook, our conversations, or your own research to show that your prototypes are historically accurate.
  • Please explain what the events of your fairy tale would look like in history.  Explain each event and draw parallels between its development and what actually happened in history.  Support your arguments with historical evidence.
  • If your fairy tale ends differently from what happened in history, please explain why you chose it as the alternative.
  • In your writing, please follow this format:

Introduction

Your thesis: "I believe my fairy tale is a symbolic representation of …" (insert an event in history)

Claim #1: "(Character #1) is an accurate representation of…" (insert the historical prototype your first character represents)

Claim #2: "(Character #2) is a factual representation of …" (insert the historical prototype the second character represents)

Claim #3: "The setting and the development of the fairy tale symbolize…" (insert the historical event(s) you had in mind)

Paragraph I

Sentence #1, Claim #1: Who Character #1 of your fairy tale represents.

Sentence #2, Topic Sentence Expanding upon Claim #1.

Give another fact in this sentence.  You may want to provide more similarities between the character you introduced and the actual historical prototype.  After you are done with this sentence, it should answer a question, which starts with "What…?"

Sentence #3, Supporting Fact.

Explain why you believe your character to represent its historical prototype.  After you are done with this sentence, it should answer a question, which starts with "Why…?"  Please provide evidence in this sentence.

Sentence #4, Another Supporting Fact.

Give another explanation why the first character of your fairy tale represents a historical prototype.  Another "Why…?" question should be answered with this sentence.  More examples from the textbook, our discussions, or your own research.

Sentence #5, Anticipated Counter-Argument.

This is the hardest sentence to create and the best one to demonstrate that you are an excellent writer.  You may want to begin this sentence with an "Although…" or even "Critics may point out that…"  Make sure to support this claim by facts, too.

Sentence #6, Refuting the Counter Argument.

Now is your moment to shine!  You may want to begin with "Nevertheless…" and show that the counter-argument may be correct, but your argument is still stronger.  Use examples in this sentence, too.

Paragraph II

Sentence #1, Claim #2: Who Character #2 of your fairy tale represents.

Sentence #2, Topic Sentence Expanding upon Claim #2.

Follow the model of the first paragraph.  Another "What…?" question will be answered.

Sentence #3, Supporting Fact.

Your first "Why…?" question is answered with this one.  Don't forget examples!

Sentence #4, Another Supporting Fact.

The second "Why…?" question, more evidence!  Almost there!  You can do it!

You are becoming an expert on counter-arguments!  Please follow the first model and don't forget examples!

Your second shining moment!  Don't forget some good evidence.

Paragraph III

Sentence #1, Claim #3: What your fairy tale symbolizes.

Sentence #2, Topic Sentence expanding upon Claim #3.

In this sentence, expand on the claim and explain the parallels between history and your fairy tale.  Give concrete examples, narrow down your claim.

Sentence #3, Supporting Fact.

Explain why you decided that your creative fairy tales is similar to a certain event in history.

Sentence #4, Another Supporting Fact.

Give another explanation.

The critics are still there.  What may they say about your fairy tale's resemblance to the actual events?  What evidence do they have?

Sentence #6, Refuting the Counter-Argument.

If the annotation were a cake, this is its cherry on top!  Let's refute those critics once and for all! 

Conclusion

Please bring all the arguments together to demonstrate that your thesis has been proven.

And you are done!

After reading this voluminous handout, you may be wondering why I am asking you to do this.  Here are my reasons:

1. I want you to create history.  This is why I am asking you to write a fairy tale.
  2. I want you to analyze history instead of simply regurgitating it.  This is why I am asking you to annotate your fairy tale.
  3. I want you to practice good writing skills in history.  This is why I am asking you to follow the format of the thesis, claims, counter-arguments, and refuting.
  4. I want you to see how much you have learned and how well you understand what you learned.  I believe in you.  This is why I am asking you to perform this challenging task.

Please don't worry!  I will be there to help you along the way, you can ask me questions, and there will be time to work on your writing during our classes.

Acknowledgements: Professor Luther Spoehr,

Brown University, for his Historical Writing Exercise.